Writing your essay conclusion can help make or break the entire piece. It is one of the most important parts of any essay. Whatever the point of the essay was, the conclusion is the last chance the author will get to convey that point to the reader.
In an essay where the author is giving their personal opinion or point of view the conclusion is their final opportunity to convince the reader to agree with their opinion. The impression the conclusion leaves the reader with will stay with them once they have finished reading the essay.
It is important for the conclusion to actually sound like a conclusion. Readers do not want to be left hanging because the author chose not to wrap up the topic of the essay properly. A conclusion must give the reader a sense of closure and also make them think about the topic of the essay and what its implications mean. The last paragraph of any essay should leave the reader with a desire to find out more about the topic.
To establish a sense of closure, you might do one or more of the following:
- Wrap up the essay by restating the idea that was used in the opening paragraph.
- The last sentence of an essay should be simple in order to create a subtly dramatic effect.
- Use a sentence in the conclusion that is either a parallel or compound sentence. These types of sentences can help give the essay a proper ending.
To close the discussion without closing it off, you might do one or more of the following:
- When writing the conclusion use a quote from one of the sources used in the essay or at least refer to one of them. The purpose of this is to restate and reemphasize the main point of the essay. If the essay is about a poem or novel, including a quote from the poem or novel is an effective way to give depth to the essay.
- The conclusion should also be associated with something in the real world, such as a current TV show that discusses the topic of the essay
- Also make sure to state another definition for an important term that the essay included.
- Mention the implications of the essay's topic.
Think about what suggestions or implications are made by the material included in the essay.
Image source: http://www.tastefullyoffensive.com/2012/12/in-conclusion.html
Finally, some advice on how not to end an essay:
- A summary of the essay is not enough. An essay at least 10 pages long should include a short summary of the argument made in the essay. This is not necessary for an essay that is less than 10 pages in length.
- Do not use typical phrases like “in summary” or “to conclude”. While these phrases are commonly used in oral presentations they are not necessary in a written document because readers will be able to tell when an essay is concluding. The audience may find these phrases irritating or even an insult to their intelligence.
- Do not make any apologies in the conclusion. Undermining what was said in the essay makes the author of it look insecure to the readers.