Dictionaries and Thesauri
- Oxford English Dictionary (OED Online)- contains the 20-volume second edition of the Oxford English dictionary plus the complete contents of the three additions volumes published between 1993-97.Updated quarterly.
- Oxford Reference Online - brings together 100 language and subject dictionaries and reference works - containing well over 60,000 pages - into a single cross-searchable resource.
- Credo Reference - Access to a selection of 169 reference books including encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri and books of quotations; also a range of subject-specific titles in a range of disciplines.
- Thesaurus.com – This site uses Roget's Interactive Thesaurus to provide synonyms for words and phrases.
Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Acronym Server – This is a database of general, technical and specialist acronyms.Enter an acronym to find its meaning, or search for a word that may appear within an acronym.
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations – The content of this site is taken from the tenth edition of Bartlett's published in 1919.The collection includes examples from ancient and late nineteenth century authors.Search by keyword or browse by author name.
- Quoteland.com – A collection of quotations from both ancient and modern authors, as well as contemporary commentators, political figures, celebrities and characters from fiction.Search by keyword or browse by topic or author name.